How to lose inches and feel great on holiday (yes really)!
Holidays are generally the time that you stop all your healthy habits and put on a little weight, let’s be honest! But Pilates & Co. owner, Roz Norman, found a way to celebrate a birthday on a trip to the USA and lose inches and feel better in the process.
I’m sure a few of you know that I turned 40 this year and I was lucky to have a girl’s trip to NYC and Hawaii to celebrate this HUGE milestone!
I know it is surprising to hear but, my NYC trip was not all shopping and espresso martinis. I actually thoroughly enjoy checking out fitness studios, health clubs and seeing what the trend is in other countries and to bring back any ideas to improve my businesses. I also like to keep fit and eat well while I am away.
Yes, it is possible to do this and you just need to follow these easy steps (they are easy if you have no kids with you too!):
- As soon as you wake, have a shot of coffee and jump on the treadmill or go for a quick run for 30 mins each day (Marriott Time Square has a great gym or stay close to Central Park and get outdoors).
- Drink loads of water on the plane and each day.
- Make sensible and the right size food choices –lots of salads and protein. Watch the carbs! It is so easy to eat well in the US. Great press juice bars and easy high protein snacks to get you through to the next meal.
- Enjoy your bubbles ladies, and beers boys, but don’t go over the top every night.
- It is amazing how much walking you actually will do each day so you burn loads of calories just taking in the sites.
Merrithew Group (Stott Pilates) arranged access to a number of Pilates studios and my favourite was Kinespirit in Gramercy – they not only do Reformer sessions like we do but they have Gyrotonic Pilates. You may or may not know that Lady Gaga is a massive fan of Reformer and Gyrotonic. Both have been huge in her rehabilitation after hip surgery. Gyrotonic definitely takes a few sessions to get your head around the flowing movements and the exercises, but the feeling after a class is amazing. The feeling through my spine and core was exhilarating! I was glad I got to experience this class.
My favourites fitness tips for New York City:
- Kinespirit Pilates in Gramercy
- Run or bike Central Park
- Dozen Apples walking Tour – 6 hours but went for 8!! Do this as soon as you get to NYC as it really sets you up for an amazing trip
- Swerve Cycle Studio in Gramercy
My coffee and fitness tips for Waikiki Beach:
- Morning Glass Coffee and Café – Manoa Valley. About 25 mins in a cab from Waikiki beach. The best coffee and healthy food that I could find in the area!
- Pilates O ka la – the teachers and the studio were amazing! They only do privates and semi-privates but well worth doing a couple of sessions to keep up your practice while on holidays. Only 20 mins walk from Waikiki beach (a good warmup).
- Diamond Head Crater walk (or RUN) – this was about a 3 hour round trip from the beach. Awesome workout and if you are up for a run… a great burn of some calories! View amazing and a very rewarding hike. A must if you are heading to Waikiki Beach!
Lastly as a wife, mother and a business owner life gets so busy …..one major thing I got out of this trip (besides a new wardrobe) was the importance to have time out away from family to reset your mind and body. Now I don’t think I am going to get 2 weeks a year to go to NYC but a couple of nights away to Byron should do the trick! Imagine what I have planned for my 50th!
Roz Norman is the owner of Pilates & Co. and regularly teaches Pilates reformer, met.con and more at the studio. She’s also a mum of three and married to Dave. You can follow Roz and Dave on Instagram (@thenormanlife)
Want to kick-start your fitness goals too? Come and see us at Pilates & Co. We offer a number of membership and class payment options, and if you’re new to our studio you can take advantage of our free orientation class and our 4 for $80 Introduction offer. You could get really serious and join our 6-week Transformation Challenge.
Not a Gold Coast resident but planning a trip to the Burleigh Heads or nearby? Purchase our 4 for $80 class visitor pass (valid for two weeks). Contact us if you need to find out more.