Healthy Food: Spiced Lentil Soup
This delicious and nutritious lentil soup will satisfy even the fussiest in the family. It’s quick and easy to prepare and make ticking all my boxes!
RECIPE FOR HEALTHY LENTIL SOUP
Here’s what you’ll need –
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or ghee
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ginger, finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped or crushed
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 cup dried red lentils (or puy lentils if not pureeing soup)
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan or sea salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
Here’s what to do –
- Heat oil or ghee in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add onions and cook until translucent, then add ginger, garlic, and spices. Cook for one minute, stirring constantly.
- Add stock and lentils and bring to the boil. Cover pan and bring to simmer for approximately 20 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Remove from heat. This is where you have the option to blend to a smooth soup (kids will prefer this option 98% of the time). Blend mixture (1/2 at a time) in your blender or use a stick mixer until smooth. If using a blender, remove the centerpiece in the lid to allow steam to escape and place a piece of paper towel over the hole. Once you have blended your soup, pour the mixture back into a clean pan.
- Stir in remaining ingredients over a low heat
- Serve and enjoy!